Monday, June 26, 2017

Four wheel drive


For practical reasons, I have decided early that my next purchase was going to be a 4x4. This was due to my Volvo being stuck on the wet lawn in front of the Ngaroto sailing club one weekend. Everyone has left and I was starting to panic because I could not get home! In the end, an old couple in an old Holden gave me a hand. I hitched the boat to the Holden and it was towed from the grass on to the gravel road for me and I was ok!


Now the question is: should I buy a 4x4 just in case?! The Musso made in Korea is very attractive indeed because it has a Mercedes engine and looks very striking and unusual. I could probably drive it for a while because it is diesel and cheap to run. Need to find out whether it is turbo charged or not. Then it is ok for motorway driving. I can live with that. Some boat ramps are extremely slippery for recovering boats from the water on to the trailer. At Miranda, near the firth of Thames, there is no boat ramp, only the river bank at low tide! Only a 4 x 4 would work properly there. However, the sea water would be a killer for the Volvo which has a low suspension. I must consider whether to stay on the fresh water lakes or go offshore.


Some of you may be wondering what type of car will I buy next. It will most likely be a Rolls Royce. Please click on this link (coloured letters) to see my next car! :)

No comments: