Thursday, June 22, 2017

Proton Iswara


Christine wanted a new car again. This was her third new car. Using Shell senior staff car loan at 4% interest, I bought her a Proton Iswara 1.5 litre automatic saloon for 40K. She was half expecting me to keep the Toyota for myself; but no thanks, I had enough of hand me downs during my life! The 5 year old Toyota GL was sold for 12K to a car yard. I bought an Isuzu Trooper, 4x4 and used that to tow my dinghies for many years. I sold the Subaru for 5K when I left Miri. Even after the make-over, the jeep fetched only 14K; but I had good service from it for 10 years.

A year later, Christine came and joined me in New Zealand. Some how she managed to sell the Proton Iswara for 40K which was the new price! This can happen only in a place like Borneo! After five years’ use and a car suffers no depreciation?! Not possible! This was mainly due to the rapid increase in price of the Proton Saga and the Wira manufactured in Malaysia by Mitsubishi Motors. The new Wira was selling at 60K and were now beyond the reach of many Malaysians. As Mitsubishi/Proton was a joint venture with the government, it enjoyed a 10 year pioneer status and had other tax incentives. However, at 60K, not many people can afford a new Proton Wira. It is time to switch to a smaller Kanjil!

Due to the high import tax on foreign made cars, ordinary Malaysians cannot afford them any more. Many Malaysians were in fact condemned for ever to drive Kanjils. Even a reconditioned, 6 year old Honda Accord cost 40K in 1992 and a little bit more for the ever popular and sporty Honda Prelude. A new Pajero 4WD cost over 120K, the price of a small house! So, at 30K my Isuzu Trooper was considered cheap when I bought it in 1985!

In Malaysia, luxury goods are now taxed at 300%! These items include French perfume, Johnny Walker black label whisky, Mercedes and Volvo cars, etc. The government did not want people to buy luxury foreign made goods and it became compulsory for the masses to support the national car, Proton. Apparently, freedom of choice does not exist any more. The politicians have spoken. Harga naik each year and every one must live in terrace houses and drive Proton!

No comments: